Latest Offshore jobs in USA 2021
To get offshore jobs, you must pass an offshore survival and firefighting course as a basic step, also known as emergency response training, or basic offshore induction and emergency training (BOSIET). You must be over 18 years of age to work offshore jobs.
Before applying the applicant should be aware of the nature of work , living condition and the commitment one need to put into it .In offshore operations, workers often work 7 to 14 days in a row, sometimes 12 hours a day ( lets not forget that there is MLC work and Rest hours to stop over working ) and then have 7 to 14 days off. For offshore rigs located far from the coast, drilling crew members live on ships anchored nearby or in facilities on the platform itself.
What are Offshore Vessels?
Offshore vessels are ships that specifically serve operational purposes such as oil exploration and construction work at the high seas. There are a variety of offshore vessels, which not only help in exploration and drilling of oil but also for providing necessary supplies to the excavation and construction units located at the high seas.
Offshore ships also provide the transiting and relieving of crewing personnel to and from the high seas’ operational arenas, as and when necessitated.
As mentioned, above, the denotation of offshore vessels is a collective reference and as such includes a wide array of vessels employed in the high seas sector. They can be mainly classified into the following main groups:
- Oil Exploration and Drilling Vessels
- Offshore Support Vessels
- Offshore Production Vessels
- Construction/Special Purpose Vessels
Some of the widely needed offshore jobs/ ship jobs in USA
2. Chief Officer
4. Second Engineer
10. Offshore rigger
11. Offshore pipe fitter
All the people those who are working aboard on a offshore ship must have their competency certificate for officers , require and follow Basic Safety Training International Certificate of competency (STCW), referred to generally as basic safety training, also all members serving in the ship should have a clear medical certificate and passport too.
Skills needed to be a Master in Offshore vessel
The minimum qualifications and experience required for each Master are:
Possess all valid flag state (and coastal state, as applicable) credentials required by law for
service as Master on the route and class of vessel appointed to
(Examples: Merchant Mariners Credential, TWIC Card, Medical Certificate, Radio Operator Licenses etc.)
A valid Passport
A valid unlimited DPO certificate from a recognized issuing authority is highly preferred for working on-board DP vessels. Minimum two years’ experience on DP-2 class vessels of similar size, route and industrial mission in a position not lower than 1st Officer. Ability to read and write English, as well as render, understand, and react to commands
given in English.
Skills needed to be a Chief Officer in Offshore vessel
- Must have a valid USCG Merchant Mariner Document or Merchant Mariner Credential.
- Must possess valid STCW, CoC etc.
- A valid Passport
- A valid unlimited DPO certificate from a recognized issuing authority is highly preferred for working on-board DP vessels.
- Minimum two years’ experience on DP-2 class vessels of similar size, route and industrial mission in a position not lower than 1st Officer.
- Ability to read and write English, as well as render, understand, and react to commands given in English
Skills needed to be a Chief Engineer in Offshore vessel
- Possess all valid flag state (and coastal state as applicable) credentials required by law for service as Chief Engineer on the route and class of vessel appointed to (examples: Merchant Mariners Credential, TWIC Card, Medical Certificate, etc.).
- A valid Passport
- Ability to read and write English as well as render, understand, and react to commands given in English.
- Minimum two years’ experience on DP-2 class vessels of similar size, route, ( in case vessel is DP rated ) and industrial mission in a position not lower than Assistant Engineer.
Electro technical officer need CoC, CoE, STCW1-1PST, STCW1-2FF and FP, STCW1-3EFA, STCW1-4PSSR.
Bosun must hold CoC, CoE (if he in watchkeeping), STCW1-1PST, STCW1-2FF and FP, STCW1-3EFA, STCW1-4PSSR, STCW2 PSCRB, Crane Operator Certificate ( depending on vessel operators requirement )
Finally, the cooks need CoC, STCW1-PST, STCW1-2FF and FP, STCW1-3EFA, STCW1-4PSSR and Food Handling and Hygiene Certificate. Ratings should also possess all valid STCW certificates.
Skills needed to be an Offshore Surveyor in Offshore vessel
- At least 18 years of age.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without restrictions.
- Associate degree or higher in Surveying, GIS, Geophysics, or related technical discipline preferred, but not required.
- Offshore experience and/or applicable military training/experience preferred, but not required.
- STCW training / safety and personal survival training to be completed .
Nowadays we can see that there is a shortage of 4% officers of the total workforce. To overcome this many shipping companies, provide training programs for new recruits and further advancement of existing crews. Another concept is Pool crewing, where a shipping company can recruit large pool of qualified seafarers. Ship owners get the qualified core crews or contract crew at any time. Overall in Pool crewing the seafarers who have been selected, recruited and evaluated to a specific quality standard rather than buying a certificate of the street. So, both seafarer and shipowners get benefits for long term. Check out latest Offshore Jobs.